Southern NH Planning Commission
The Southern New Hampshire Planning Commission (SNHPC) is seeking an experienced Transportation Planner to complement our professional planning staff. The Transportation Planner will work with the Commission’s staff, municipalities, the New Hampshire Department of Transportation, and federal partner agencies on long and short-range regional transportation planning, project development, and special transportation studies.
As a regional planning agency and designated Metropolitan Planning Organization for the greater Manchester, NH region, the SNHPC prepares local and regional plans, and assists 14 member municipalities with transportation planning services.
This position requires considerable knowledge of transportation planning principles and practices, state and federal transportation planning regulations, state and federal transportation funding programs, and grant administration and management.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Urban Planning with an emphasis in transportation planning or related field and three years of progressively responsible professional transportation planning experience, or Bachelor’s Degree and five years of professional transportation planning experience.
- Membership in the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties and responsibilities are not all inclusive. Other duties may be assigned on an as-needed basis.
- Coordinate updates to regional transportation plans including, but not limited to the SNHPC Metropolitan Transportation Plan, the SNHPC Transportation Improvement Program, and SNHPC regional project priorities for the NH Ten-Year Transportation Improvement Plan.
- Coordinate the development of special transportation studies including, but not limited to Corridor Studies, Road Safety Audits, and Trip Generation Studies.
- Coordinate the compilation, target setting, and reporting of federally-mandated transportation performance measures for the SNHPC region.
- Review transportation-related data collected by SNHPC field staff including traffic counts, vehicle classification studies, culvert inventories, and pavement condition data.
- Organize, prepare and present transportation plans, reports, and analyses to municipal boards, commissions, and the public.
- Coordinate and facilitate a variety of committee and public participation meetings to develop consensus on transportation plans, projects, and programs.
- Assist SNHPC municipalities and partner agencies in preparing grant applications to implement new transportation projects and studies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with funding agencies, stakeholders, public officials, other employees, and the general public.
- Ability to speak effectively in public settings and give public presentations.
- Ability to prepare well-written professional reports for publications and presentations.
- Ability to work independently, meet frequent deadlines, and coordinate the completion of multiple projects.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Publisher, PowerPoint, Excel and related software tools for analysis and communication.
- Knowledge of cartographic software platforms, including ArcGIS 10.3 and extensions of ArcGIS.
- Knowledge of regional travel demand modeling techniques.
This position requires a current, valid driver’s license. The position requires travel throughout the region, occasional long-distance travel, and occasional night meetings.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $46,000 to $56,000 DOE.
The SNHPC offers competitive health and dental insurance benefits, and participates in the New Hampshire Retirement System (NHRS) pension plan.
Persons interested in applying for the position should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references by 4:00 PM on Friday, September 29, 2017 to:
Linda Moore-O’Brien, Office Administrator
Southern New Hampshire Planning Commission
438 Dubuque Street
Manchester, NH 03102
Or submit electronically to lmoore-o’email@example.com with the subject heading “Transportation Planner Position.”
The Southern New Hampshire Planning Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The position is open until filled.
Salary: $46,000 to $56,000 DOE.
Closing Date: September 29, 2017